How to Join
Application to become a member of the Mayflower Society is made through your particular State organization, not the General Society of Mayflower Descendants in Massachusetts. If you think you may have "A Pilgrim In You", here's what you need to join:
Application Steps (Please read carefully.)
(California Mayflower Society Members: Please follow these same steps if you want to apply for a supplemental line.)
- California Residents: Please visit the California Mayflower website for information on how to join and download the Preliminary Review Form. (If you're not from California, please visit your State's Website for a review form.)
- Send us YOUR FAMILY LINE ONLY by filling in the blanks on the Preliminary Review Form. DO NOT SEND SUPPORTIVE DOCUMENTATION OR ANY PROOF AT THIS TIME.
- Be sure to INCLUDE A SELF-ADDRESSED, SELF-STAMPED ENVELOPE along with your form to the Historians address that is listed.
- Do not send any other information at this time.
- No application fee is required at this time.
- The Preliminary Review Form will be reviewed by the Historians office and you will receive a report on the findings with complete instructions on how to proceed.
- If the office finds your line to be a possible line to a passenger of the Mayflower, you will receive a “Preliminary Application for Membership” form to be completed and returned with a check for the appropriate fee.
- After the office receives your fee, the historian will prepare a worksheet and return it to you along with instructions on how to document and complete the worksheet. The historian will have filled in several generations on the worksheet that have already been proven (by a previous applicant or a source available to the historian).
- Please contact our Colony Membership Chair to help you further with your application and documentation.
- Prepare two photocopies of your documents with your worksheet following the instructions you received from the historian. They will both be sent once you have completed your application.
- Approved applications to the DAR and other societies will NOT be accepted as primary documentation by this society.
- When the historian feels you have fully documented your worksheet, a final application will be sent to you for signature. That signed application will be sent to Plymouth for final review along with one copy of your documentation (one copy will be kept for your file in the California office). Each State Society is an autonomous organization. If you live in California, you will apply to us for membership in the Mayflower Society. Refer to the State Societies page on the General Society website if you are applying from another state.